When you’re trying to live an eco-friendly lifestyle, there are many things you can do, from eating organic to bicycling to work. Even in your home, it’s possible to introduce many small changes so that you’re helping the environment. If you’re wondering how to create a green home for yourself, consider the following options:
- Live Close to Work. A lot of environmental pollution is caused by travelling. But if you live close to work, you can bike or even walk to your office, thus saving a lot of fuel. Additionally, you’ll get a bit of exercise which will help you to stay healthier in the long run. Of course, it may not always be possible to live very close to work but this is just something you can consider when looking at apartments for rent.
- Plant a Garden. Plants are a source of fresh oxygen for the environment. This is why just sitting in a garden can make you feel rejuvenated. If you live in an apartment building, you might still have access to a backyard where you can plant some flower beds or grow vegetables. If you don’t have access to a backyard, consider those pots that you can place right outside your window. They’ll be pretty to look at from the outside as well as the inside.
- Buy Some Flowers. Granted, having flowers in your home isn’t actually going to benefit the environment. However, they will serve as a reminder of all the beautiful gifts nature has given us and can spur you on to doing more to save the environment.
- Join a Neighborhood Group. If you do a bit of research on the internet, you’ll probably find that there are groups in your neighborhood which are doing something to save the environment. It’s great to join one of these because you’ll get to meet like-minded people and help the environment at the same time. Plus, you know that you’re more likely to show up at events or meetings because people will be counting on you.
- Farmer’s Markets. Find out if there are any farmer’s markets in your neighborhood. Not only will you be able to buy fresh produce, you’ll also be encouraging local farmers in the process. Plus, farmer’s markets are a great way to spend an idle morning, chug down some apple juice or take your kids to hear a local band.
Contact us for more ways to make your new apartment a green home.